All who visit Hoselaw chapel find it a haven of peace and tranquillity.
Set amidst the green fields of the Borders and within the bounds of Linton parish, it overlooks Hoselaw Loch, an important wildlife reserve, and beyond, to the rolling Cheviots straddling the Scottish/ English border. A view inspiring many artists throughout the seasons.
Unlike Linton Church, which was independent, this chapel was attached to the Abbey at Kelso. By 1560 Hoselaw Chapel was in ruins and no sign of the original building remains.
At the end of the 19th Century Dr. Thomas Leishman conducted worship in a thatched cottage. After his death it was felt there could be no more fitting memorial to him than the restoration of the chapel.
In 1906 the foundation stone of the new chapel was laid.
The white freestone building accommodating fifty people consists of a nave and a semi-circular apse, which is most beautifully frescoed. It depicts three angels bearing the Scroll on which is inscribed “Alleluia for the Lord God Omnipotent Reigneth”The small apse window is copied from one at Weobley Castle in Gloucester, and shows Our Lord holding the sacramental cup.
'....designed, 1905, by the architect of the restoration of Linton Kirk: Peter MacGregor Chalmers. Modest but dignified rectangular church with apse. Stained glass window of Our Lord holding the Sacramental Cup by S V Willis.(Sacred Scotland
Prior to 1855 Linton was practically unknown in ecclesiastical circles. From this quiet country parish the Very Rev.Thomas Leishman , student of liturgy, theologian and writer was called to the Moderator’s chair in 1898.
His son Rev. James Fleming Leishman was ordained at Linton in 1895 and held the living till 1935, The building and equipping of the chapel at Hoselaw in memory of his father and the very fine restoration of Linton Church in 1912 are outstanding events in his ministry of father and son, they laboured in this quiet corner for eighty years.
There is no regular worship at Hoselaw now.
Occasional Evening Communion services and a Good Friday Vigil are held here.