Morebattle parish church or "Mereboda" is noted from being in the diocese of Glasgow from approximately 1116. It stands on a prominence overlooking the Kale water. This church is very near to Linton Kirk, only a mile as the crow flies, this is
due to the fact that when these church sites were first founded there was a loch between Morebattle and Linton. The building was engulfed by fire in 1544 and rebuilt. The present structure dates mostly from the 1750s with extensions being erected in 1899 and 1903. It is an oblong shape, with additions of the chancel, porch, and vestry.
The parish is most substantial and was united with Hownam for a generation. It incorporates the ancient parish of Mow
adding the Bowmont Valley to the village and the surrounding farmland. It has a strong generous community and a remarkable number of activities. The Annual Morebattle Games is now preceded by a Festival Week. A quality farming presence is still a very strong feature of the area. The village has a shop and a butchers, The Primary School is quite large by rural standards. Bordernet
maintain full details of Morebattle history and activities online.